The Litter Gitter is a program of Matanzas Riverkeeper that takes members of our community out on the river to remove trash from our waterways and to learn about the issues surrounding marine debris and litter.
The namesake of the program is the Litter Gitter II: a bright yellow, 24- foot Carolina skiff, specially equipped for removing large volumes of debris. The Litter Gitter program works to ensure that our local waterways stay clean and healthy while giving volunteers an opportunity to get their hands dirty and to do their part.
What to Expect:
- Trips generally last about 2 hours (please arrive at least 15 minutes before the scheduled cleanup time)
- We recommend sun protection including a hat, sunglasses, and sunscreen
- Please bring a reusable water bottle (no single-use plastic or styrofoam)
- All volunteers are required to wear protective footwear (close-toed shoes or boots--no sandals or flip flops)
- Be sure to wear clothing you don't mind getting wet or muddy
- The Litter Gitter II will provide all the tools and equipment necessary to collect debris